Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Venue & Gig Promotion (Part 2)

Venue Promotion Part 2

You may remember some weeks ago about me talking about Gig promotion and me and the band making a trip to the CIA (after the Mark Knopfler concert) to give out flyers to promote our forthcoming gig with our Dire Straits Tribute (this weekend).
My usual promotion has been taking place over the couple of months and full-on the last month or so, including the usual ‘norm’ Web site and facebook promotion.
We had a great article and photo in the Wales on Sunday when we went to perform the show in India so I thought I’d get in touch with the same reporter to cover our Local performance and ask if he was interested in doing a follow-up story Inc plug for our show. Despite the huge interest from him regarding India and also putting it in the SW Echo, the best they could do to help us promote our ‘local’ gig was a small line or two....  It was great to over our India trip and I do greatly appreciate that but when we need it the most for a ‘local’ gig, we haven’t had it. (Unless we get something in the next 2 days – in which case I apologise! But I doubt it as he hasn’t spoken with me!).

Last Thursday I receive an email from some fans trying to buy tickets online through the venue web site – to be told that they weren’t available online – even though both new owners assured us their box office and web site would be selling the tickets and the gig would have their 100% support.
After numerous calls and emails to the venue with no response, it was clear that popping in to sort it was the only option. So, 8 days prior to the gig loads of flyers later (all printed with all venue and ticket info) and the owner says “it might be better if you sell the tickets as we haven’t got a proper box office”. What? I expect my face was an absolute picture! After 2 months of promotion and flyers stating their web and box office, he says that – with no concern at all. His answer to me was, “well, people will just have to buy them on the night if they can’t get them” – which led me on to say about the whole point of having advance tickets at £2. Cheaper is to get tickets sold prior to the night. I couldnt help but feel i was wasting my breath....

Needless to say, they are now selling tickets, and 24hrs after us going in, they were available on sale on their web site.
Frustration!!! Do these people want to get people in their venue?? They could make a killing on their bar sales alone. I just dont understand their way of thinking (or lack of thinking!).

I’m sure most of you agree that promotion at vmost enues (large and small and all types of entertainment) is useless. What makes me even angrier is they then wonder why tickets aren’t selling well.....  Even more so, those venues and managers who put up ‘a’ poster in the venue and expect the venue to be full! Another venue the other week simply said to me “it’s on facebook” – and that was it.....they felt their job was done!
I’m aware I can do no more to push the gig. But I can’t help but worry how many ticket sales we may have lost due to the venues lack of box office and online availability..... If people can’t actually buy the tickets, how are they supposed to come?

The venue has been closed for some time and only opened under new management in the last 2 months, so hopefully enough people will know it’s now open and we will get a good walk-up! It has had some great acts there recently including the fab Fleetwood Bac and 80’s legend Toyah and is holding regular nights by Rhod Gilbert and also in Dec, Steve Harley (Cockney Rebel).
Promotion is key! If people don’t know about it, how will they be able to come along!


The Globe, Albany Road, Cardiff
Sat 26th Nov
Doors 7.30pm
Tickets £10. In advance and  £12. On the night.
www.globecardiffmusic.com
www.money-for-nothing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.