Monday, 14 November 2011

The Perception of the 'Self-Employed'

So this brings me to this weeks rant, whoops, Blog regarding being self-employed and 'some' peoples perception of being self-employed.
Both my FiancĂ©e' and I are self-employed. One of the most annoying things has to be the occasional cancellation.... We as a band get one, once in a blue moon, but recently, I had to deal with one due to a venues incompetence. The Booking had been booked since March and if I had £1. for every booking I turned away for that date from then til now, I'd be having a nice holiday somewhere! I'm not sure, what makes people think that its 'OK' and doesn't matter? We very occasionally hear the comments 'proper job' slip into conversations too. All of us as band members rely on each booking to pay our bills – some of the band teach too, but still our aim is to be professional full time working musicians whether it be to teach or play. Luckily, with the booking in question, we did manage to replace it and get a last minute job due to someone else being let down by their Band – we were very lucky and fate was obviously on our side. Annoyingly, the venue who cancelled want to re-book for next year.....lets just say, I'm yet to get back to them.... I do know for a fact that I could've proceeded through my Union to obtain some sort of cancellation fee if we hadn't got a replacement booking but at least i didn't need to do that.

Today, I have watched my partner who is a very busy drum kit tutor deal with a parent who'd 'just remembered' they had a family party to go to this evening so he wouldn't be able to make it to his lesson.... Main problem being, his teaching schedule is full and to fit everyone in is very difficult anyway as he's so busy. He'd turned that slot away to others because it was booked for this particular student. So, as it was too late in the day to slot someone else in place, he'll charge them a cancellation fee. I mean, why should he lose his £25. for that hour for his job because they forgot to cancel the lesson with proper notice?? So, he's going to sit here for 1 hour and do nothing? Where do you draw the line? This is our full income/living. You don't want to have to charge them, but it really has to be done or it will happen again and again and people take advantage. What amazes me even more are some parents are very forthcoming and offer a cancellation fee right away (full fee) whereas some others are totally amazed that they should have to pay one at all! I mean, you're only a drum tutor? You don't do this to earn a living surely? You don't pay your bills with this money do you? I really don't understand what planet some people are on. He had another a couple of weeks ago, who simpy wanted to go to watch Cardiff City play and the lesson clashed with it - plus another who said her son was actually going to Florida for the half-term so couldn't make his lesson – I mean, what? Did she just forget that? At least give notice peoples!

My 'soon to be' sister in law teaches piano. Someone we know the other week said 'so when is she going to get a proper job'. I mean, how rude – she is a trained piano teacher! Plus, a job is a job – earning money to pay your bills, whether you're a Dr or a Rubbish Collector right?

I occasionally have to deal with the 'what do you do?' question where I reply with 'Professional Singer' (hoping at that point they might realise its not for 'fun' and is at pro level) but then they usually follow it with 'do you do anything else?'.......!! I find it so frustrating.

I really don't know what it is that makes people think that because you are 'self-employed' that things like cancelling or just not showing up makes them think that its 'OK' and doesn't matter, or that it isn't a 'proper job!'. Its certainly more stressful than working for someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.