Thursday, 10 November 2011

Bah Unplug!!!

Bah Unplug!!!
I was amazed to hear today that some councils are pulling the Christmas Lights and Switch-On ceremonies due to cuts. I was even more drawn to the issue as over the years I have performed at numerous Christmas Light Switch-On's and one being one of them being a city that has 'pulled' their lights this year. Exeter – my old Home town – reportedly spent £50,000 on last years lights & ceremony, and said they just simply couldn't spend it again this year......

After the news was reported, there were petitions and a campaign by the local paper and it appears that Exeter will have its lights after being 'saved by local businesses'.

Surely there must be a way of 'cutting down' rather than having nothing?? We all know the financial position everyone is in, but making cuts on something like the Christmas Lights? The ceremony itself brings at least 10'000 people into the city!

I'm totally torn on this subject – as much as I love the Christmas lights and switch on ceremony, I can't also help but think that maybe that £50,000 of Council money could be spent more wisely on more 'important' things...... plus there's also the huge issue of trying to save energy/electricity........

You might wonder what this has to do with our Industry & FD, but it's the whole entertainment thing and Light Ceremonies are always accompanied by Live Music. Its what I learned after hearing about them being cancelled, that really got up my nose....

Stacy Solomon (as much as I like her) is switching on Paisley Christmas lights...... and charging £15,000! The Daily Record reports that Paisley Council is making £75m cuts - and is paying her £15,000 to switch on the Christmas lights!!! Apparently, they also paid Olly Murs the same amount last year. I know she 'has' to work and earn a living like anyone else (and in this industry take it when you can), but its such a large amount of money for something that is supposed to be a 'community event'. Although, I expect she personally doesn't get a say – all down to her management. I love Stacy, I do, but its just the money/fee and the cuts issue.


I performed at Exeter lights twice, Torquay, Bridgewater and Topsham. One year, I did it with Bart Simpson! (Yes, some fella dressed in a Bart costume). Why do these councils feel it so necessary to spend stupid money like that? What happened to using someone from the Panto? It's 'festive' and supposed to be 'fun' and 'light-hearted'.

Why can't we all take a leaf out of Glasgow's book, switching on their lights are stars of this years Panto – The Krankies. This also helping to promote the Panto.


Birmingham have chosen to cancel their star studded switch on concert due to 'interest of crowd safety'. (Due to appear were: SugaBabes, Alexandra Burke, Taio Cruz, Little Boots, Pixie Lott).

Scarborough council have also cancelled due to crowd safety after last years 10,000 crowd.

Coventry have cancelled theirs due to major building works in the city centre (for the Olympics) – BUT are still having their lights.

Edinburgh events last year went £100,000 over budget.

Part of me wonders why this should be the councils job to pay for this event – maybe it should be funded by local businesses anyway – I mean, along with the late night shopping, it helps bring people into their stores doesn't it?

Exeter will be using the stars of the Panto – Cinderella and local radio presenters :) Well done Exeter business for saving the day and pulling together!


Me with my Dancers performing at Bridgewater Christmas Light Switch on a few Years ago:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.