Friday, 14 October 2011

I didn't need to pay the Ferryman... (Don't Pay the Ferryman-CDB)

What another interesting week. Please bare with me again whilst I get into this Blogging lark!

My highlight this week, other than 2 ridiculously long days filming on Casualty, has to have been watching my awesome cousin play in concert at St Davids Hall in Cardiff.

He is Chris De Burgh' permanent guitarist/backing vocalist. Their tour which started in March hit the UK for its final 5 dates, and it kicked off in Cardiff.

My main blog this week is about how easily people/artists can be dismissed without the public really knowing about their performance & material and what these celebrities/stars 'really are' like as people off stage, and their personalities and attitude.
I've never seen Chris before and wouldn't class myself as a fan and wouldn't even have considered going to watch him in concert - despite knowing his success. I obviously went to see and support my very talented cousin, but the show & Chris I have to say, was really superb and I have changed my whole opinion on the artiste himself. His vocal and guitar performance really blew me away, his voice and some of his notes, really were very impressive. As the show went on, it featured a very very impressive light show and we saw him with the band, then just him and his guitar – no frills and then to finish, they totally rocked the place which saw the whole place on their feet! (Including his Hit, Don't Pay The Ferryman).
Chris came across as such a lovely man on stage, who obviously wears his heart on his sleeve. He laughed and joked with the audience and clearly had great rapport with his band members too. One point of his show, he came off the stage and into the crowd (for such a big star to do, is not only risky but unheard of!). I'm pretty mad with myself for dismissing him and his music in the first place or simply judging his music on 'Lady In Red'.
Having worked with so many big stars I always wonder what they are 'really' like of stage. Obviously, those I've worked with, I get to see what they are like, but I often find myself watching the TV or listening to the radio and wondering about those I haven't met/worked with.

I was delighted to then meet Mr De Burgh and find the most charming, friendly man who I'd just watched on stage and who'd already won me over. He met my expectations and more (you never can tell!). I was even more delighted that he happily chatted with my fiancé' and my bass player and his sister too – just like we were 'one of them'.
They had just returned from European dates and the night before in Düsseldorf where he is still a huge seller and plays Arena's of thousands of people – but still happy to chat with us whilst sipping his glass of white wine. He was happy to sign autographs and shake hands of his fans whilst on stage, and his manner with some of the disabled fans really was more than heart warming. This man clearly values his fans and shows it.

Hardly anything in the local press in the run-up to the gig – or a review after.........
It really is truly superb to see an artiste who doesn't put an act on whilst on stage and is really the man we see. Respect to Mr De Burgh!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.